Monday, July 20, 2009

Which 90's MLB Players are Worthy of the Hall?


It's hard to think about the 1990's in baseball and not think immediately about steroids. The two are forever linked together these days like Joe Louis and Max Schmeling, but not in a good way. And it's even more difficult to try and pick out those few players who are clean.
Moreover, is there really any way that we can be sure that those players are clean? The only way is for each person to make up their own minds individually, which is what I'm prepared to do now.
With this in my head I decided to make a list of the players from the 1990's that I believe are clean and, therefore, should make it to the Hall of Fame one day. It's hard to pick through all of the players and come up with the clean ones, so first I made a list of all of those players who I know(my opinion) were abusing performance enhancing drugs. Again, this list is tentative and subject to change so check back with us often for updates to the lists.
Right off the bat we know of several players who have been caught so we can already put them on the list. Then, there are those who have either proclaimed their innocence so much that they draw attention to themselves, or those who have remained unbelievably quiet on the topic. Either way we know they're guilty.
Some of these players include A-Rod, Roger Clemens, Barry Bonds, Mark McGwire, Sammy Sosa, Rafael Palmiero, Miguel Tejada, Albert Belle, David Ortiz, Manny Ramirez, Jim Thome, Juan Gonzalez, Brady Anderson, Gary Sheffield and many, many others.
So with the cheaters out of the way I now have a small list of those great players of the 90's that are clean and should make it into the Hall of Fame. These players are Derek Jeter, Greg Maddux, Trevor Hoffman, Tom Glavine, Ken Griffey, Mariano Rivera, Chipper Jones and John Smoltz. Again, the list is small and that's no accident, though I'm sure I'm missing a few obvious ones.
And oh yeah, I know he played in the 80's and definitely didn't use steroids, but voters please, for the love of God, put Dale Murphy in the Hall. He deserves it as much as any player to ever have played the game.
I'm sure there are others that I've missed on both lists so be sure to let me know in the comments section if I have any glaring omissions. And be sure to check back with us over the course of the baseball season as we will have more steroids talk and accusations.

No comments:

Post a Comment