Wednesday, July 22, 2009

U.S.A. Soccer: Contender or Not?


With team U.S.A.'s recent performances against Spain and Brazil, it's easy for me to get excited about the upcoming 2010 World Cup in South Africa. I can't remember the last time I actually cared about U.S. soccer, but I do now.
For me personally, a big part of that has nothing at all to do with the game itself, but another game: FIFA Soccer by EA Sports. I have learned more from that game than I have from watching years of soccer games. I recommend it to anyone who wants to learn more about The Beautiful Game.
But to get back to my first question, is the United States finally a contender for the 2010 World Cup? My answer: Of course they are. They've already beaten the number one team in the world (Spain) in a FIFA sanctioned event, and nearly came close to beating another in Brazil as well.
No one can tell me that the team didn't gain a huge boost of confidence from those two games, and I believe that it absolutely will carry over to the World Cup.
On what do I base this theory?, you might ask. Well, nothing scientific, but I've seen enough upsets and rallies in sports to know when something great is taking shape, and I firmly believe in U.S. soccer this time. One thing I can say for sure that we can expect to see alot of in South Africa next year, and that is Jozy Altidore.
The kid isn't even 20-years-old yet and he's already a beast. Did you see him shield off those little Spanish players to make that first goal against Spain a few weeks back? Can't wait to see more of this young man on the brightest stage.
Jozy is a surefire superstar in the making and possibly the first American soccer star we've ever had. I'm just glad we have someone like him on our side this time around. Great players seize the opportunity on the biggest stages and that's exactly what I expect Jozy to do come 2010.
So get on the bandwagon now folks because I'm telling you, the U.S. is gonna make a run at this thing and I hope you all are on board with me leading the cheers for the U.S.A.

No comments:

Post a Comment